Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

When you have 10 lbs of Mung Beans.....

You have way, way too many mung beans....obviously.

What would possess a person, you might ask to have so many mung beans? Well, that's a good question. You see, as I might have mentioned before (*scoff*) I'm getting married, and mung beans are actually quite pretty, so I got it into my ridiculous little head that it would be a good idea to use them as decor.



The unfortunate thing about buying mung beans in bulk is that you have to get them in 25lb increments. While that seemed like a fantastic thing at the time, because hey, I would use 25 lbs of mung beans to decorate with, right? As it turns out....it wasn't, and I didn't. So...here I am with 10 lbs of mung beans and not a huge plethora of recipes to choose from in my repertoire, because...well...I'm white.


So with that I decided to scour Pinterest for some Mung Bean recipes. I was lucky and found a simple one that required ingredients I already had in the kitchen (no trip to the local Asian market this time). Without further ado, I give you Mung Bean and Kale Soup! (So tasty!)



Mung Bean and Kale Soup


Ingredients
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 onions, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 cup mung beans
  • 7 cups of water
  • 2 cups kale, chopped
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp coriander, toasted and grind
  • salt and pepper
  • Directions
    In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the mung beans, spices, salt and pepper, stir well to combine. Add water, cover and cook until the beans are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Check the beans after 20 minutes to make sure they have enough water. When the beans are ready, taste and adjust salt and liquid if needed. Add the kale and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve with bread

    .***Changes/Alterations*** We used 3-4 cups of kale, 6 cups of chicken stock and 3 cups of water and an entire onion rather than 1/4 an onion. We also doubled all the spices as well.  This soup was great! Loved it!!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment