Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mini German Pancakes

I've been a bad, bad fiance these last few months. Geeky Dude has been doing ALL the cooking because I've been so wrapped up in wedding planning. Not that he complains (nor do I, he is a stellar cook!) a bit, but it makes me feel a bit guilty to not help out with the meals.

Saturday was a sleep-in day for the Geeky Dude, so I woke up and decided to try out one of my breakfast/brunch Pinterest board recipes. It had promise, they call it a German pancake and Geeky Dude is of German descent so it seemed like a win-win situation, right?


Yeah....I think I'll read the recipe a bit more thoroughly to get a sense of how it's going to turn out before just jumping right into it. 


What I'd been expecting: Baked pancake like confections


What I got: Baked egg-y souffle type things with vanilla and orange zest that you're supposed to put jam or other preserves into. 


Anyway, here is the recipe:



Mini German Pancakes
1 cup milk
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. orange zest (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted



  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Blend first six ingredients (milk through orange zest) in a blender.  Make sure that any flour clumps get well-blended.
  2. Blend in butter a little at a time in order to temper the eggs.
  3. Grease muffin tins well and distribute batter evenly between 24 tins. If you fill them half full you will get the little indentations that make a nice place to fill them with things.
  4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until puffy and golden on top.
  5. Served with your favorite toppings.  (Mine was a dusting of powdered sugar and homemade applesauce as well as homemade strawberry jam)

***Alterations for next time***

Omit orange zest and vanilla. These weren't bad tasting but they are more of a savory than a sweet. Definitely not what I think of when think pancake. Way, way too eggy to put jam/preserves on. It would taste excellent with bacon and maple syrup though :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment