Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sriracha Popcorn

I'm going to admit it, right here, right now.

I am addicted to popcorn.



There, I said it. Whew, it feels good to have that out in the open.

It's one of those versatile snacks that you can enjoy in many different ways. You have your popcorn balls, your cracker jacks, your kettle corn, your Little Lads crack corn (my Mainers know what I'm talking about here), your butter smothered theater popcorn and your home popped put random delicious stuff on it, popcorn.

Sriracha falls into that last category....I really didn't know that it fell into that category until I saw this recipe but holy awesome sauce people- YOU NEED THIS POPCORN!



Sriracha, for those of you who aren't aware, is an amazing hot chili sauce that hails from Thailand and has been steadily gaining popularity over the last 5 years, especially since the introduction of sites like Pinterest that have exploded the recipe sharing culture of the interwebs.

Anyway, Geeky Dude, who is normally not a popcorn fan gobbled it right up and told me that it was the, and I quote "tastiest, most delicious popcorn ever!"

Sriracha Popcorn

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
½ Cup White popcorn kernels
Salt

Use a large stock pot with a lid to pop the popcorn.  Over a medium to high heat, add the vegetable oil and kernels to the pot.  Once the first kernel pops, add the lid and shake frequently to prevent burning.  When the popping has almost stopped, dump into a large paper bag and sprinkle with salt and shake.  Next add the Sriracha Butter to the popcorn and shake really well to ensure popcorn is well covered.

Sriracha Butter

4 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Sriracha Sauce
2 Garlic cloves, finely minced

In a medium sauce pan, add the butter and let it melt over medium heat.  Next add the sriracha sauce and minced garlic.  Stir until combined.  Turn off the heat and let the flavors meld for 5 to 10 minutes.  Pop the kernels while the butter is infusing.



**Notes and Alterations** 

This is the second time I've made this popcorn. The first time I neglected to use the paper bag method and that was a mistake. Definitely use the bag, it evenly distributes the butter. Also...the first time I noticed that 4 tablespoons of butter is far too much butter for Geeky Dude and I, so we cut it down to 3 and upped the Sriracha to 2.5 tablespoons rather than 2. The spice was perfect but I think we might still go down to 2.5 or 2 tablespoons of butter next time around. Even so, it was still delicious! Our garlic cloves were giant, but we found that this worked out perfectly for us, as we LOVE garlic :)

Enjoy!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment